Sunday, October 14, 2007

The intro

My name is David, I was born and raised in Saginaw. In fact, I was raised just 5 or 6 blocks West of the river near downtown. When I was high school age we moved to Saginaw township where I attended Douglas MacArthur High School (yep, that dates me). I grew up in a construction family. My father was a general contractor while my uncles were painters. I spent 2 years at a technical school in Tampa Florida where I earned an Associates degree in Architectural Design and Drafting. The main focus was to learn how to assist an architect or engineer and to use CAD. I became very proficient at CAD and when I returned to Saginaw I went to work for a prominent civil engineering firm. This began the journey to where I am today. Today, I am studying and taking the nine divisions of the ARE (Architect Registration Exam). Each division is about a 3 hour exam. As of this day, I've taken one and passed it. While studying for the second exam, which deals in urban planning, I began to realize something I've had buried deep inside. I started to bring together all these little sketches and ideas I had in mind for many, many years and decided I needed to put them into a logical order. To find out what lies behind the idea, and why I came up with it in the first place. To figure out if they could possibly be implemented, or if they were just dreams. These sketches and ideas led me to realize that what I was doing was trying to save a city, a city that I love and want to see flourish. A city that I want to be the best at what ever it does. A city that breeds people of culture, sophistication and compassion. A place that companies what to relocate to, a place that people of all races and walks of life want to call their home and to raise their children. I decided I needed to Save Saginaw.

No comments: